Over 2100 evacuated after 5.8-magnitude earthquake hit Tibet, no casualties reported

December 25, 2018 2:17 am0 commentsViews: 546
Shigatse. (Photo courtesy; Lonely Planet)

Shigatse. (Photo courtesy; Lonely Planet)

(TibetanReview.net, Dec24, 2018) – China said Dec 24 that more than 2,100 people had been evacuated after a 5.8-magnitude earthquake jolted Xaitongmoin (Tibetan: Zhe-thongmon) County in the city of Xigaze (Tibetan: Shigatse) in southern Tibet Autonomous Region.

There were no casualties, reported China’s official Xinhua news agency Dec 24. Investigators were reported to have found cracks in some rural houses and damage on some live-stock sheds in the county.

Traffic and telecommunications in the region were stated to have remained undisturbed.

The report said the earthquake occurred at 3:32 am on Dec 24. The epicentre was located at 30.32 degrees north latitude and 87.64 degrees east longitude. China Earthquake Networks Centre was cited as saying the quake struck at a depth of 8 km.

Share
  • 434
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Tags:

Leave a Reply